February 8, 2009

Like it never happened!

I get questions all the time on how she's doing, and for her, it's like it never happened--thankfully! Her head is much wider than before. She looks great. I was looking at her before pics today, and really, her head shape is amazing now.

Her hair is slowly coming in, so from the front, the scar is hardly noticeable. The scar tissue is a bit thicker on the sides, so you can feel a bump. I think it's worse on the sides because that's where she rubbed the stitches out when turning her head, so it didn't have as much time to heal before the stitches were gone. Up on top is where the scar looks the best, which is where the stitches stayed the longest. The scar is pink, and sometimes turns red, but nowhere else around it is red and she seems to be in no pain when that happens so we aren't concerned about that since it's all the way healed and she has no fever or anything.

The space that they cut out is much smaller now. You can still feel a little space down the middle, but it's small and very bumpy feeling.

She is one of the happiest babies. She is so smiley and laughs so easily and is doing awesome! No side effects, and I'm sure no memory of it for her at all. I've tried to find some pictures that show what the scar looks like now. I'll try and take some better pics so you can really tell how it's healed. Because looking at the post titled "Stitches", it doesn't look like that anymore. So I'll take some pics and post those later.

 
This is the best pic I can find of the side view of her scar how it looks now.
DSCF2666

Can barely see the scar here, but it kind of sticks out further on the sides.DSCF2570

From the front you can't even tell. But this pic also shows how much wider her head is now than before (check out the 2 month pic of her below, before the surgery).DSCF2692

1 comment

  1. Hi Christie,

    I'm not finding a function to email you directly, so I apologize for asking in a comment. Thank you again for this site. My family and friends are finding it a really great source of information.

    My question has to do with the Neuropsychologist testing before the surgery. Did Bean have to have this test? Was it very long? Have you already had a follow up?

    I can be emailed, if you don't mind, at ejbouffard at gmail dot com. Nola's pre-op is coming up on the 18th and her surgery on the 31st. I'm terrified for her (and us) but holding it together pretty well right now.

    Thanks again,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete


UP